The forests of Konni are a safe haven for elephants, the gentle giants. Konni has a long history of elephant capturing, which started in Konni Forest Division in 1810. Pit system of capturing was the practice.
Keddah system was tried for a short period from 1875 to 1885. The entire Konni population used to throng both sides of the forest roads, when captured elephants, guarded by
Kumkies (trainer elephants) were brought to the elephant camp at Konni. The elephant camp and the kraal at Konni are centers of attraction, not only for the local inhabitants but also for visitors from far off places.